The Academic and Career Advising Center is excited to work with Handshake's career recruitment platform to better serve students, alumni and employers.
Handshake offers many useful features, including:
- Personalized job recommendations based on your major and interests
- An easy way to get information about career fairs and similar events
- Powerful keyword search and filtering options
- Managing your on-campus interviews with top companies
Attending Virtual Job Fairs is Easy!
Before the Fair:
- Register and schedule your sessions with employers and community partners.
- Group Sessions: 30 minutes each, multiple students can attend
- Individual Sessions: 10 minutes each, one student and one employer representative can attend
- Research the employers by reviewing their profiles on Handshake, as well as their websites to be able to identify their mission, services, and open positions.
- Have your resume reviewed by a Career or Peer Advisor on Drop-ins
- Upload a resume to your Handshake profile. Pro Tip: When you upload your resume, be sure to save it as YourLastName_FirstName_Resume (e.g. Smith_Jane_Marketing Resume)
- Practice your interview skills with a career advisor or by using Standout Video
Day of the Fair:
- Dress to impress. Virtual or in-person, first impressions count! Studies show that people feel more confident when they dress in professional attire. Be mindful of how bright colors and jewelry may appear on camera.
- Test your equipment (camera, audio, and internet connectivity equipment) to resolve any technical issues. Find a quiet place, select a simple backdrop, and arrange good lighting. For the best experience, Chrome or Firefox browsers are recommended.
- When your video chat begins:
- Keep your eyes on the camera, not the image of the interviewer, so it appears you are looking in their eyes.
- Engage the recruiter in a give-and-take chat around your fit for their position or organization.
- Be mindful of non-verbal cues. Sit up straight, smile, express enthusiasm in your tone of voice, and lean in a bit to demonstrate interest and attentiveness.
- At the end, thank the recruiter and share the most interesting aspects of their opportunity.
- If the recruiter showed interest, ask for a LinkedIn connection or email to follow up.
After the Fair:
Follow up and send a thank-you email within 24-48 hours to everyone who interviewed you to thank them for their time and reiterate your interest in the role and the unique strengths you could bring to the organization.