Virtual Resources

We're Here to Help!

Important Update from ACAC

Our staff continues to be available virtually for one-on-one guidance through drop-ins and appointments. Stay safe, stay healthy and be well. You can do this!
Live Chat with the ACAC Virtual Front Desk Monday through Friday from 9am to 4pm for quick assistance. Find the Live Chat widget on the ACAC homepage, top right corner.
Virtual Drop-in Advising is available Monday through Friday, 10m to 1pm. Click HERE to enter the Virtual Drop-in Zoom room. PLEASE NOTE: When entering the Zoom session, you will be placed in a “Waiting Room” in the order of arrival. Students will be admitted one at a time. Please have your student ID number ready. Using a webcam is completely optional.
You can also contact the office by voicemail at 707-826-3341 or email at Both are managed Monday – Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.

Virtual Resources

The following resources were compiled to help students obtain part-time, local, face-to-face, remote, volunteer, and work-from-home opportunities. There are also tips about remote interviewing, working remotely, other money matters, and self care to help you be successful in these challenging times. 

Onward California
OnwardCA is a one stop resource for the people of California impacted by job loss during the COVID-19 pandemic. Includes comprehensive information on life essentials, training and job search by county.

Job Search Resources                                    

Part Time Jobs/Local Face to Face Jobs:
The following are part time,  face-to-face job ideas for students, both in Humboldt and in other places:
  • Contact Tracing (high demand opportunity due to COVID-19). Here is one of many sites set up for hiring:
  • Grocery stores may be hiring temporary employees
  • Third-party food delivery services (UberEats, DoorDash, InstaCart, etc) DoorDash is hiring in Humboldt
  • Medical scribe companies, such as Helix Scribe Solutions or ScribeAmerica.
  • Tutoring opportunities - since schools are closed, many families seek tutors. Check with neighbors, advertise on personal social media, or join your neighborhood on the Nextdoor app to search for opportunities. Talk to your Career Advisor about strategies for doing this online.
  • Delivery services and online distributors (i.e. FedEx, UPS, Amazon, USPS)

Online Job Searching 

Under normal circumstances, networking leads to more than 70% of hiring as only about 30% of jobs are actually advertised. However, mandatory social distancing necessitates increased online job posting and hiring.  Networking (phone calls, emails, LinkedIN, Zoom, Facebook-very carefully, informational interviews, and virtual networking events and fairs are still important. Focus on creating strong, thoughtful cover letters, resumes, portfolios and samples of your work as in many cases, these documents will now have to do some of your networking for you.

Tips for Job Searching


A 24/7 job and internship database that includes on-campus and off-campus, work-study, part-time, full-time, temporary, summer, internship and career positions. It is connected to campuses across the country, so you may find jobs local to where you currently are.

How to Find a Local Part-time Job

  • Local newspaper listings: During this time, and if newspapers are in operation, they will get direct job listings for companies and organizations urgently hiring to meet demand during the COVID-19 response.
  • Craigslist: A go-to place for local hiring, especially the nonprofit sector. Be careful for scams.
  • LinkedIn: Very active job board, networking capabilities, allows you to create a profile.
  • State Job Banks: Every state is required to provide a job board for their employers and job seekers - this page has links to all of them. 
  • Curated job search resources put together by our ACAC advisors: 

Virtual Internships

Numerous opportunities for remote internships, both paid and unpaid.

Tips, advice and information on virtual internships

Alternatives to internships

Volunteer and Paid Opportunties Specific to COVID-19

Feeling compeled to help? Looking for opportunities to get involved and build your resume at the same time? From food banks to blood banks, here are some websites that are offering Covid-19 specific volunteer opportunities.


Resources and best practices to help you prepare for interviews that are not in a traditional in-person interview. There are three different interview formats: virtual/online, phone and digital. 

Virtual/Online Interviews 

Prepare for interviews that are real time, using video and audio on your computer or cell phone. 

Phone Interviews

Prepare for interviews over the phone, with no video. 

Digital Interviews

Prepare for interviews via email or other format that allows for a digital reply.  Employers provide questions and answers are then recorded. 

Working Remotely

Advice and tools on how to be successful when working remotely.  

Other Money Matters

These resources include information on financial assistance and other money matters to help students manage their personal finances.

Student Adversity Emergency Grant

Unemployment, Disability and Paid Leave Insurance Benefits

Loans and Payment Extensions

  • Emergency loans are available through Humboldt Student Financial Services.  Guidelines can be found here.  Visit their website for more information on how to contact them.
  • Call your creditors, mortgage lenders, utility companies, etc., if your income has been impacted by the Coronavirus. They may be able to offer support including deferring payments, or waiving  fees including late, interest, overdraft, non-sufficient funds, monthly maintenance, etc.

Student Legal Lounge

The Legal Lounge provides free services for students and Humboldt community members who need help finding an attorney or understanding their legal rights. This includes, but is not limited to, answering frequently asked questions, providing brochures/print-outs, and in person meetings to explain details. 

Self Care

Self-care is incredibly important. During this stressful time, it is essential that you make yourself a priority.  The following are some tips to help you:

  • Tips:
    • Try to get into a routine that includes showering, getting dressed, making your bed, spending time on class work, meals, and exercise.
    • Incorporate breaks into your routine. Get up and take a walk, stretch, have a reward snack for accomplishing something.
    • Give yourself a break and remember it is an incredibly stressful time and you are doing amazing! 
    • Watch funny videos, limit your news intake, and take advantage of the many free virtual resources such as museums, concerts, fun classes, hobbies, etc.
  • Support and health and wellbeing services are available through Humboldt. Students who would like to talk with a counselor can contact Counseling & Psychological Services at 707.826.3236 anytime.
  •  Student Health and Wellbeing Services remains open, and has set up a receiving space out front. 
  • Oh SNAP! Food pantry services continue and Humboldt will purchase additional food if necessary.

Online Learning Resources

This website lists some of the online programs you can use to help with online learning challenges, such as voice to text.

Relief Funds for Workers in California

  • One Fair Wage Emergency Fund–Cash assistance to restaurant workers, car service drivers, delivery workers, personal service workers and more who need the money they aren’t getting to survive. 
  • Another Round, Another Rally Emergency Assistance – $500 relief grants.  Workers in the hospitality industry, dishwasher, bartender, server, busser, chef, cook, sommelier, manager, host, concierge, cleaning staff, or barback may apply for funds.
  • National Domestic Workers Alliance Coronavirus Care Fund – The Coronavirus Care Fund will provide emergency assistance for home care workers, nannies, and house cleaners. If you are a domestic worker, text RELIEF to 97779 to get updates from NDWA, and find out when the Coronavirus Care Fund applications are ready. 

Cash and Food Assistance (Food Banks, CalWORKS and CalFRESH)

  • See if you or your children qualify for CalWORKS, a cash assistance program with other services, or CalFresh, food and nutrition services, so that you can get supplemental assistance during this time. Unfortunately, most undocumented immigrants, TPS recipients, and DACA recipients generally are not eligible for CalFresh or CalWORKS, but there are exceptions.
  • Even if you don't qualify due to your immigration status, your children may qualify if they are US citizens or have lawful status. These benefits could help your family during this time; You do not have to provide your immigration status if you are undocumented and are applying for these benefits for your children or family member.
  • Only the person seeking benefits must provide their citizenship or immigration status. If you are applying on behalf of an eligible family member, such as your child, you only need to share the information for that family member. If you are undocumented and apply for a family member, you should not provide any information about your immigration status. Instead, you can say, "I am not applying for health insurance for myself."