frequently asked questions

Question: What classes should I take while I am Undeclared?

Answer: The short answer is take classes that interest you and will assist your major exploration. It is important you focus on taking mostly General Education (GE) courses in your interest(s) so you will be making progress towards your degree. You can review the Undeclared Major Academic Plan (MAP) to help you plan your courses. 


Question: When do I have to declare a major?

Answer: Humboldt requires students to declare a major once you have earned 45 units. If you have not declared by completion of 45 earned units, a "Must Declare" hold will show up on your student center and you must declare a major before you can register for the following semester. (see Declaring A Major for more)


Question: How can I get help deciding the best major for me?

Answer: The best service you can receive is through one-on-one meetings with the current Undeclared Advisor so we can create an individualized plan. You can also ask about utilizing personal assessments to help guide you to major and career options. (see Exploration Tips & Resources for more)


Question: Can I change my mind after I declare a major?

Answer: Yes, and the goal is to have you find the best fit with your first major and avoid having to change your major a second time. However, if things change you can complete a “major change form” to change your major. If you are a senior (90+ units earned) wishing to change your major the process is more difficult (see Senior Major Change Form).